* 10 exciting highlights from a successful year at the Madeleine Milburn Literary Agency *
- Fiona Barton’s hotly anticipated book THE WIDOW (Transworld) was published in January and quickly became the No.2 UK bestseller, while also climbing swiftly to No.9 on the New York Times bestseller list. To date, THE WIDOW has been translated into 35 languages and has become a global bestseller with Film & TV rights optioned by Playground Television. THE WIDOW was chosen for the Richard & Judy Bookclub and is the UK’s No.3 bestselling hardback debut of 2016. In December 2016, THE WIDOW won the Richard & Judy Autumn Bookclub, rounding off an incredible year.
- April saw the publication of the latest Sunday Times bestselling thriller THE MISSING by C.L. Taylor (HarperCollins), with record sales making it No.5 in paperback and No.1 in ebook. It was subsequently shortlisted for the Dead Good Reader Award, and has been chosen for World Book Night 2017. Cumulative sales of C.L. Taylor’s last three books are approaching a million copies, and THE LIE has been optioned by The Forge for Film & TV.
- Holly Bourne’s AM I NORMAL YET? (Usborne) was shortlisted for the YA book prize, winner of the Lancashire Book Award and selected for World Book Night 2016. Lara Williamson, also published by Usborne, was shortlisted for a Blue Peter Book Award with her novel THE BOY WHO SAILED THE OCEAN IN AN ARMCHAIR. Both Holly Bourne and Lara Williamson have been nominated for the CILIP Carnegie Medal 2017, one of the most prestigious prizes in writing and illustrating for children.
- In April, Madeleine Milburn was proud to have two of the agency’s bestselling authors joining panels at the London Book Fair 2016: Mel Sherratt talking with Amazon about Independent Publishing, and Kathryn Croft debating whether Self-Publishing Houses are the next level in the evolution of Self-Publishing as a whole.
- In June, the children’s book ANYONE BUT IVY POCKET by Caleb Krisp (HarperCollins) hit the New York Times Ebook bestseller list at No.4. Film rights have been optioned by Hollywood Studio Paramount with Allison Shearmur of THE HUNGER GAMES producing.
- With up to a thousand entries to consider, in September the Madeleine Milburn Agency announced the results of the exciting crime and thriller competition, Make Us Scared, with Richard Larkin coming first for his debut novel GARAGE FLOWERS.
- In October, the Frankfurt Book Fair sensation THE CHALK MAN by C.J. Tudor (Penguin Random House) became the Madeleine Milburn Agency’s fastest selling debut of all time, with rights sold to 38 publishers around the world. Likened to Stephen King and the Netflix drama STRANGER THINGS, C.J’s debut novel will be published in January 2018.
- THE GIRLS NEXT DOOR by Mel Sherratt (Bookouture) has dominated Amazon’s top 10 ebook bestsellers since publication in October. Other recent ebook bestsellers include works by agency authors Kathryn Croft, Leah Mercer, Holly Martin, A.J. Waines and Caroline Mitchell.
- The Madeleine Milburn Agency hosted the annual Author Christmas Party celebrating the success of all the agency’s authors with some of their editors. As ever, it was lovely to see so much talent in one room, and for everyone to see old friends and meet new ones too. Here is a selection of photos from the night:
From left to right: Frankie Grey, C.L. Taylor , Michelle Adams, Emily Griffin, Fiona Barton, Katherine May, Lucy Abrahams
From left to right: Jane Torday, Giles Milburn, Caroline Mitchell, Leah Mercer, Martha Ashby, Fionnuala Kearney, Mel Sherratt
From left to right: Michelle Adams, Nuala Ellwood, Martha Ashby, Fionnuala Kearney, Lara Williamson, Holly Bourne, Christine Lehnen
From left to right: Anna Hogarty, Hayley Steed, Teresa Driscoll, C.J. Daugherty
- Over the course of 2016, the Madeleine Milburn Literary Agency celebrated the publication of the following books:
THE DAY I LOST YOU by Fionnuala Kearney
THE GIRL YOU LOST by Kathryn Croft
IN THE DARK, IN THE WOODS / THE CRESSWELL PLOT by Eliza Wass
SUMMER AT ROSE ISLAND by Holly Martin
CHRISTMAS UNDER A STARLIT SKY by Holly Martin
CHRISTMAS UNDER A CRANBERRY SKY by Holly Martin
THE SECOND CHANCE SHOE SHOP by Marcie Steele
SOMEBODY STOP IVY POCKET by Caleb Krisp
EDDY STONE AND THE EPIC HOLIDAY MASHUP by Simon Cherry
WHAT’S A GIRL GOTTA DO? by Holly Bourne
THE LONELINESS OF DISTANT BEINGS by Kate Ling
AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR? by Holly Bourne
THE TEA PLANTER’S DAUGHTER by Janet MacLeod Trotter
THE TEA PLANTER’S BRIDE by Janet MacLeod Trotter
THE SANTIAGO SISTERS by Victoria Fox
FIRE WITCH by Matt Ralphs
WHO WE WERE BEFORE by Leah Mercer
THE SECRET CITY by C.J. Daugherty and Carina Rozenfeld
THE GIRLS NEXT DOOR by Mel Sherratt
WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING by Kathryn Croft
EDDY STONE AND THE ALIEN CAT MASH-UP by Simon Cherry
MY SISTER’S BONES by Nuala Ellwood
LOVE YOU TO DEATH by Caroline Mitchell
WITNESS by Caroline Mitchell
LAST KISS GOODNIGHT by Teresa Driscoll
Wishing all the Madeleine Milburn Agency authors, and all other talented writers around the world a very Happy New Year.
We’ll certainly be raising a glass to you!