We are excited to be launching a six-month mentorship programme for aspiring authors. As part of the mentorship, the MM agency will provide editorial guidance and an insight into getting your book published including current trends, what editors look for, international rights and Film & TV.
The mentorship programme will be awarded to six writers across the genres of adult and children’s fiction, and each mentee will be offered representation. At least one place on the mentorship will be reserved for a writer from a community under-represented on the nation’s bookshelves. This includes writers from BAME (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic) and LGBTQ communities, writers with disabilities and socio-economically marginalised writers.
The Mentorship Programme
The programme will offer editorial feedback and industry advice to mentees. We will advise on editing, publishing, international rights and film & TV. We will host a mentorship programme day as well as informational sessions with the wider Madeleine Milburn team.
The mentorship will include:
- An editorial letter for the first 15,000 – 20,000 words (structural edit)
- Phone conversation or meeting with a literary agent
- Follow-up read at 6-months
- Mentorship programme day
- Representation from an MM Agency literary agent
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for brilliant stories with characters who live and breathe. We want to find stories that are compelling, that create a world around their reader, the kind of novel that makes you miss your stop on the train. It doesn’t matter if your ideas are still in fruition, we’re looking for voices with real potential to join the impressive family of authors at the MM Agency.
How to Apply?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org any time before 1st June 2020 with the first 15,000-20,000 words of your manuscript, along with a synopsis and pitch letter. Also include: a line that describes what is special about your book; three comparable books in the market today; and five of your favourite writers or books.
- Entries for the Madeleine Milburn Mentorship Programme must be the original work of the entrant (and not previously published), in English (not translated).
- The mentorship programme is open to residents around the world. Entrants must be over the age of 16 and must be unrepresented. If an entrant accepts representation from another agency, they will no longer be eligible for the mentorship.
- Entrants retain full copyright over their work.
- We can only accept one entry per writer. Last date for applications: 1st June 2020
- Mentees will be announced on 1st July 2020
- Please submit your manuscript in Word format, size 12 font and 1.5 or double-spaced.
- Entries may not be altered after submitting.
Tweet about the mentorship at – #mmmentorship